All Ottawa Estonians and friends are invited to attend a meeting regarding the Society’s future activities that is to be held
Friday January 16, 2015 6:00 p.m.
Da Santino Restaurant, 1491 Merivale Rd. (south of Baseline, east of Clyde)
Please RSVP to Tõnu Onu – telephone: (819) 682-9352
– e-mail: email@example.com
There will be a brainstorming session to discuss people’s interests regarding the Ottawa Estonian Society. The meeting is scheduled for January 16th, dinner starts at 6:00 p.m. Food may be ordered from a limited version of the restaurant menu (www.dasantino.com). Brainstorming session is set for 7:00 p.m.
We would appreciate receiving your thoughts in advance of the meeting.
Over the last few years the Ottawa Estonian Society has been relatively quiet on the activity front. The executive’s only two members, Margus and Ene, have valiantly kept the Society afloat, but we cannot expect two people alone to do so for long and keep the Society active. The activities of the Estonian Embassy in Ottawa have been impressive and deserve our gratitude, but the prime responsibility of the Embassy, understandably, is focused on the development of relations with Canada. We cannot expect the Embassy to be the initiator and main organizer of activities for the local Estonian community. Therefore, it is time to discuss the expectations of Ottawa’s Estonians and their friends regarding the Society and who among us are ready to undertake and organize activities. The possibilities are many, as long as there is interest, desire and energy.
· A kids group to introduce the Estonian language, songs and traditions
· Introduction of Estonian culture through films, lectures, presentations, etc.
· Cooperation between the Estonian Church and the Society
· Jaanipäev festivities,
· Participation with the Montreal Estonian Society: Lättemae, Jaanipäev, etc.
· Men’s social beer evenings with ladies
· Ladies’ social wine evenings with gentlemen (men from beer evenings turn into gentlemen at wine evenings)
· Group outings
· Social lunches or suppers at restaurants
· Activities with Latvian and Lithuanian communities